With more than a year having passed since administrative VAT decision ET.119.650, the Minister of Finance announced that the VAT authorities will publish shortly the long-awaited VAT addendum stipulating how private use of company cars is to be determined.
The new guidelines will take effect on 1 January 2013.
For 2012, the administrative tolerance set down in the administrative decision ET.119.650/2 will be extended till 31 December 2012, allowing you to apply the old VAT benefit-in-kind system.
The new addendum allows three methods to fix the private and business use of a company car, based upon:
1) a system of logbooks for each company car;
2) a lump sum for each car to determine its private use:
= home-work distance (in kms) x 2 x 200 working days + 6,000 (additional private kms)
total distance covered by company car (private + business kms)
Please note that methods 1 and 2 can be combined within a single given car fleet.
3) Lump sum for fleets with four or more cars.
This method entails a direct limitation on the VAT deduction for company cars up to 35%. It cannot be combined with the above methods and has to be applied to the whole fleet for a 3-year period.
On top of these lump-sum methods, the addendum also allows various ways of fixing the tax base for company cars made available to employees in return for a fee.
Latest posts by Philippe Vanclooster (see all)
- Company cars, internal capital gains, withholding tax, … What are the new tax measures for the year end? - December 12, 2016
- Belgian Fairness Tax: Status Quaestionis - November 18, 2016
- Budget 2017: New tax measures announced – Corporate tax reform reconfirmed but not yet decided - October 17, 2016